PRESIDENT’S REPORT FOR 2017-2018
Here are a few words to go with the end of the 2017-2018 Lions Financial Year and our AGM for that period following our Audit.
2017-2018 has been an interesting year for the club having lost a number of members and at times struggling to meet commitments.
However, members have rallied and worked hard to take on more rosters and to do what they can to share the load (given plenty of advance notice), and I am very pleased with the level of support and improved effort allround. The club was able to raise a significant amount of money for Lions and local projects, causes and needs. Lion Maureen maintains our website (when she gets materials) in an effort to improve communication and acknowledge our works.
We trialled one morning meeting per month for most of 2017-2018 abd decuded ti adiot that format for the 2018-2019 year and try and have an evening or other event each month as well, that could act when necessary as a meeting. ttendance at meetings has been a struggle and on one or two occasions meetings could not conduct business due to a lack of a quorum. I request that all members inform the Secretary if they are NOT attending in advance wo we can then plan accordingly.
I was pleased that the club was able to award Lions Pete and Raechel special consideration as James Richardson Honour Awards recipients and Community Awards were presented to the Barwon Stroke Support Cenre and Christ Church Community Meals Program in June 2018.
We are a small club and we rely on members to keep usinformed of well being needs off our members illness, deaths to the wider family, good times and bad times, are a simple phone call to the Club Welfare Officer to follow through. A card or phone call or acknowledgement can do wonders. Thanks to all of those members who were present at Lion Howard Timbury's funeral and/or acknowledged or honoured his passing in some way.
Many members have assisted with this big task and I thank everyone for their efforts selling entertainment books, mints, chocolates, mini cakes, chocolate cookies, Christmas cakes and Centennial cakes. We make about $2600 from this effort. BBQ's are the biggest source of income and regular Lions BBQ's at Aldi Geelong West, Mitre 10 Wallington (thanks Heather) and extra BBq's at Bunnings Waurn Ponds or elsewhere have raised $19,000 approx of our yearly funds. We also fundraise for other individuals and groups who provide helpers and support to CoGG Tree Planting Day, Studebakeer Car Club and others.
I want to acknowledge the dedicated support and un tiring efforts of Pete Johnston and his work to maximize our efforts in this regard,
- Flowers for Nursing Homes - Geelong Flower Farm provides surplus stock for distribution by Lions Pearl, Pete, Jan and Barbara
- Sponsorship of Upstart Challenge - a locally based Secondary School entrepreneurial challenge to find, invent and market new products for the 21st century consumer.
- National Tree Planting Day - in association with South Barwon Lions Club we provide refreshments for all volunteers and officials on the day
- Attendance at Zone Meetings quarterly
- Newcomb Park Primary School - Lions Pete and Charlie maintain school grounds and have working bees throughout the year
- Nicole Lundie Award presentation is held at Peter Mac each December for all members to attend
- Sailing School Cleaning - weekly rostered Liona members continue to maintain this activity which returns $5000 to our Administration account to support member's dues and other club needs
- Peace Poster competition - annual event with 3 or 4 local schools involved
- Film Nights - held throughout the year, provide a fun meal, crazy movie and plenty of giggles and raffles for members and guests
- Christmas Cake Sales - Lions members set up a display at the TAC office in Geelong for several days during December
Many kindnesses, physical support and help particulary by Lions Pete to groups and individuals
I want to thank Secretary Pete, Treasurer Jenny and VP's for their support.
I want to thank Raechel for her work at District Level.
I want to thank ALL MEMBERS for their contribution however big or small..
Great to have Lions Liz and Rob on deck as our "New" Members.
Watch this space.
- Family and self first
- Work second
- Lions Third
I call upon each and every Member to make sure that 2018-2019 is a fantastic year, that everyone can make a difference by attending, speaking up, being respectful to each other and looking after each other.
A challenge for each member - try and sign up ONE NEW MEMBER
What diversity of new talent would we have!
What a tremendous pool of new leaders could we develop!
What a way to build relationships in the club!
What legacy could we inspire!
What a way to share commitment!
Alan Davis (PRESIDENT)